l i n u x - u s e r s - g r o u p - o f - d a v i s
Next Meeting:
September 13: No Meeting
Next Installfest:
Latest News:
Aug. 13: Local Linux jobs
Page last updated:
2002 Jul 01 15:22

2002.06.27 Meeting Notes

Officer's Meeting

Bill Kendrick / Melissa Hardenbrook Residence, Davis.


  • PO Box
    PO Box forwarding confirmation in progress. In the meantime, a piece of forwarded mail came, so it seems to be working already.

    The IRS has been given our new postal address.

  • Open Source in Government
    Mike Simons will talk to the City of Davis IT department manager about whether they can help with a proposal to get the City to consider Open Source software before closed software.

  • Library Archive
    Mike and Henry have grabbed book details from Library of Congress (based on ISBN numbers) to populate the LUGOD library's book index. The "Property of LUGOD" rubber stamp has arrived, and books will be stamped and downloaded L.o.C. data double-checked.

  • Non Profit Status with CA
    Henry was waiting for the bank account move to be completed before applying. (Due Date: June 27th)

  • New Bank Account
    Pete Salzman and Bill Kendrick (chair and vice-chair at the time) went to Washington Mutual and closed the bank account (with additional signature on the letter from Zach Johnson, treasurer at the time). The remaining account balance ($3.77) to be given to Henry for deposit into the newly-opened account.

    Chairperson, Peter Salzman, wished to have signing powers on the account, along with Treasurer, Henry House. Pete and Henry must go to the bank with a copy of this meeting's minutes.

  • Mailing List Archives
    We would like to try and make them appear like the rest of the website (with navigation sidebar/etc.).

    We also need a way of excluding mailing list archive messages from the search engine for when users wish to only search site content, not site content AND list archives.

    It was suggested that the archive be set up so that an "X-No-Archive" header line will keep a message from being archived on the website. Henry says this should work already, but needs to be tested. Once confirmed, the mailing list pages on the website will be updated to include information on how to do this.

  • Calif. 4-H
    Handout deadline (July 15th) is looming. Speakers (Nicole Carlson, Henry House and Bill Kendrick) need to meet to decide what to talk about, exactly, and what needs to be in the handouts.

  • New Books
    O'Reilly's Managing Projects with Make was donated.

  • Ledger
    Henry has decided to keep LUGOD's financial information in finance software, with reports being produced monthly for publication on LUGOD's website.

  • Demo
    We should keep a list of all non-free software which has been installed on the demo box (e.g. on the demo box's page on the website).

    LUGOD will buy a CD case for Mike to keep the proprietary software discs in.

    Henry will look into booking us at the Co-Op for the remainder of the summer. We won't look into going to the Farmers Markets (at least, not with a computer) until a cooler season. (We may still go to the Farmer's Market, but only with informational handouts, which were really the most 'popular' part of our Whole Earth Festival event.)

    Henry will look into booking the conference room at the Co-Op, as well, for short computer-less lectures about Linux and Open Source which will take place while the computer demo at the Demo Kitchen occur.

    Pete is drafting a letter to Shuttle Computers asking for help aquiring one of their systems (which are physically very small and light) to replace are large, aging demo box that VA Linux donated to us long ago.

    Peter is going to buy WineX for the demo machine.

    Henry will give Mike the hub (donated by Z-World) to keep with the demo machine (e.g. for Installfests).

  • Kiosk Computers
    Pete knows someone who could donate older computers (no monitors) which could be used as kiosk computers (e.g. for info., web browsing, email, etc.) in the community. Bill will post to Usenet to see if there's actual interest in any organizations for such things. If so, we will move forward to gather components and package up the appropriate software and documentation.

  • Members Page
    We've decided that September 1st of each year would be a suitable date for pinging people on our members page to make sure they still wish to be listed. This will be secretary's job - a bylaw ammendment will be drafted by Pete.

  • Installfests
    We've decided to stick with UCD, rather than moving installfests to, e.g., the Co-Op. We may yet get network access at UCD.

    Bill still needs to replace the form-to-email script currently being used for the Installfest RSVP form with a new PHP-based script.

  • Domain Name
    LUGOD.org still lists Steve Wormley (at his old Texas address) as the owner organization and administrative contact. Bill will ask him about transferring ownership to LUGOD.

  • Carpool
    SacLUG's and RoseLUG's mailing lists, as well as a number of UC Davis and Sacramento USENET newsgroups were asked about interest in carpools to LUGOD meetings. There was no response, so we won't worry about it...

  • Sacramento State CS Club
    Bill tried to contact the Sac. State CS Club to make sure they knew about us. No such organization exists!


  • Pete Salzman - root (president)
  • Mike Simons - sys (vice president)
  • Melissa Hardenbrook - typescript (secretary)
  • Henry House - sys (treasurer) / librarian
  • Bill Kendrick - p.r. officer / webmaster
  • Rhonda Bailey

LUGOD Group on LinkedIn
Sign up for LUGOD event announcements
Your email address:
LUGOD Group on Facebook
'Like' LUGOD on Facebook:

Hosting provided by:
Sunset Systems
Sunset Systems offers preconfigured Linux systems, remote system administration and custom software development.

LUGOD: Linux Users' Group of Davis
Contact Us

LUGOD is a 501(c)7 non-profit organization
based in Davis, California
and serving the Sacramento area.
"Linux" is a trademark of Linus Torvalds.

Sponsored in part by:
EDGE Tech Corp.
For donating some give-aways for our meetings.