Linux for the Office
Composed using KPresenter by Tom Burnett
Converted to HTML, and hyperlinks added by Bill Kendrick
- What is Linux?
- Why use Linux?
- What Linux can do for you:
- Word Processors, Spreadh Sheets, Email Clients, etc.
- File and Internet Sharing, Apple and Microsoft Networking
- In-depth The GIMP
- In-depth Evolution
- Q&A, Linux try-out session
What is Linux?
"Linux" has 3 Parts:
- Kernel - Linux 1991
Lowest level - the operating system
- Applications - GNU 1984
Tools and programs that make the computer useful
A package containing the kernel and applications
Why use Linux?
- Most distributions and applications are little to no cost
- Freedom to make changes and redistribute
- No one individual controls Linux; multiple viewpoints exist
- Peace of mind
- All with a familiar, easy to use interface!
What Linux can do for you
- Combine the power and flexibility of Unix with point-and-click ease of use
- Incredible 'uptimes'
- No needless reboots
- Very low maintenance
- Expand or shrink to any situation
- Old 386/486's
- Dual Processor Workstations
- Lower cost of buying and owning a PC
- Operating System Cost
- Applications License Fees
Linux on the Desktop
What makes a successful Desktop Operating System?
Should be a given, right?
Should be a given, also?
- Cult like following?
Only the ones that double as a religion...
Then what is it?
- Word Processors
- Email Clients
- Web Browsers
- Graphics Editors
Native versions of
and RealPlayer, too!
"Yeah, but I really like 'X'..."
Linux and Windows can play nice with one another.
Why would you need to?
- Need Microsoft Office
- Need Apple QuickTime
- Need Internet Explorer
How to get around problems if you MUST run something Windows only
Linux serving our Office
- Solid network that powers the Internet right now
- Easily extendible for any type of networking task
devices to massive
- "Open Source" patches bugs and security problems quickly
- One Internet connection shared to any number of computers
- No special program required for any client computers
- Full featured, custombizable firewalls readily
Linux for the Office Presentation |