1999.11.16 Meeting Notes
- PPP How To - No change.
- Davis Community Network -
Computers moved to another trailer, but need space- Richard will get
back to us with details. Introduction to Linux class was yesterday.
"Everybody seemed to enjoy it." Varying levels- some Unix experienced
folks, some new. There was something for everyone at all levels. Now
pondering a How To Install class, how to use Linux class. Every 2 weeks
DCN has an open discussion class, and every other 2 weeks they have more
enducational stuff. Foo is in charge of finding a new speaker.
- Tax Exempt Status - The IRS has confirmed receipt of our
application for recognition as a Non Profit Organization. We should
expect to hear from them within 120 days (from October 12th).
- Ambassador to other LUGs - Chris DiBona spoke at SacLUG last
- Public Relations Officer - Pete Salzman proposed a new position
in LUGOD, who would be in charge of things such as Farmer's Market,
interacting with the City of Davis, advertising LUGOD meetings, etc.
Contact Pete if you'd like the position.
- Financial Report - We collected $35.40 in voluntary dues. Our
account now holds $305.47.
- T-Shirts - Bill proposed some T-shirt logos, which we all agreed
were goo. We can get them in an assortment of colors. By next meeting
(December 6, 1999), those who want a T-shirt should bring ~$11 to order one
then. Approx. $55 worth of shirts will be purchased by the club itself as
give-aways (to speakers, etc.).
- Install Fest - This Saturday from 10am-6pm in EUII room 1131 at UCD.
Try not to arrive past noon if you wish to have something installed. People
who wish to help, feel free to come whenever you can. We need to get some
Macintosh distributions of Linux, as well as more newer popular distros.
- Microsoft Recruitment - LUGOD attended an MS Recruitment talk
at UC Davis. We handed out some fliers and Marianne wrote LUGOD's website
address on the blackboard behind where the speaker was (and it was never
:^)). TIm Maurer of LUGOD won the WinCE-running
Phillips Nino 500 they were raffling off!
- Napa Health Center - Pete has suggested that we try to help
Y2K-prepare a health center in Napa, by upgrading them from Windows to Linux.
Contact Pete Salzman if you're interested in helping.
- New Location - Bill has turned in our fee waiver application to
the City of Davis. (Richard Lowenberg of DCN suggested we do so, even though
we don't currently have a Non Profit Organization number. Working to get
one should be enough.) If/when the waiver application is discussed at a
City Council meeting, we should have some LUGOD members attend in case the
Council has questions.
- Mark Kim of LUGOD presented part I of his "C Programming Basics" talk.
Part II will be on our December 6th meeting. Bring a laptop!
In response to displaying a photograph of a sad post-monopoly-judgement
Bill Gates (from US News magazine):
- "Aww. That's sad. That's so sad."
- "Yeah. He looks sad."
- "Poor fella."
Regarding the MS Recruitment talk:
- "I almost wanted to work for Microsoft at the end of the talk. Maybe it
was something in the pizza." --Pete