Linux Users' Group of Davis - "LUGOD 2002.05.20 Meeting Notes"
2002.05.20 Meeting Notes
- Embedded Linux Journal magazine to stop being published - will become
a section of Linux Journal
- Murry Shohat (one of our speakers) offered an Agenda VR3 PDA
in return for getting Linux installed on his laptop. About 4 people
offered, and via a mini-raffle, Jeff Newmiller won the chance to help
- BALUG meets in SF tomorrow - topic: IMAP
- LUGOD is holding a Linux class on Wednesday
- RoseLUG meets next Monday - topic: Linux on the desktop
- Someone from NASA Ames Research will be speaking at SVLUG in San Jose
on June 5th
- Demo - The next demo will be on Saturday, May 25th at the
Davis Food Co-Op from 3pm to 6pm.
If you can help out, e-mail email@example.com.
- Installfests - Our last Installfest was yesterday. About 10-12
machines were there, and installs seemed quite successful.
No word on when the next IF will be; UCD will be in Summer Session
in June, so we may not be able to meet there.
- LERT - No LERT news.
- Library - Steven Peck donated a burned copy of RedHat 7.3.
"StarOffice 5 in 24hrs" was entered into the library after noone wanted
it in the raffle.
- California 4-H Presentation - We will need to create paperwork
for photocopying soon. If anyone would like to help plan the talks,
contact Henry House.
- Whole Earth Festival - We participated Friday afternoon and
Saturday all day. We passed out 160 flyers discussing
Linux and why people would want to stop using Microsoft. We passed out
99 DemoLinux CDs. We handed out 30-40 Mandrake 8.1 CDs. We answered
a lot of questions!
- Class with DCN - The class will be this Wednesday. 10-12 people
have registered so far, so we can accept 10-12 more.
- Raffle - We raffled off a number of VMWare t-shirts and hats
which were donated by VMWare. Our speakers also brought a collection of
books and software, which were raffled, including:
three copies of The Cathedral and the Bazaar,
Wordperfect 2000 for Linux, Qt Programming in 24hr,
StarOffice 5 in 24hr, World War 3.0, Embedded Linux,
Jabber and a boxed copy of SuSE 7.2.
- Financial Report - $25.25 in voluntary dues were
- Murry Shohat, Executive Director of the Embedded Linux Consortium, and
Rick Lehrbaum, Executive Editor of LinuxDevices.com, spoke about the
past and future of embedded Linux, including the major players and most
interesting devices. They brought an old, developer model G'Mate "Yopy"
Linux-based PDA, and an Apilo/Pro Linux-based Internet phone.
(Rick also briefly demonstrated Codeweaver's "CrossOver Plugin")
- Mike Simons
- Bill Kendrick
- Joel Baumert
- Ryan Castellucci
- Dave Nelson
- Sam Merrit
- Brian Lavender
- Foo Lim
- Murry Shohat
- Rick Lehrbaum
- Andrew Smith
- Dick McCabe
- Marc Hasbrouck
- Geoff Herteg
- Matt Snellham
- Han Xu
- Bill Weir
- Steven Peck
- Jeff Newmiller
- C. Newmiller
Photos of this meeting.
LUGOD: PO Box 1336, Davis, CA 95617
2002 Jun 05 00:22