2013 Feb 21 13:30

Re: [vox] Can anyone help?

Vincenzo,
Turns outs I was ill this weekend.
(Some freak 24+ hour bug.)
How would you feel about meeting at
Mishka's this upcoming weekend?
BTW, may I ask for a CD/DVD copy of
Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Debian?
Please let me know.
Namaste'
Scot
(I was briefly at the LUGOD meeting tonight.
I could not stay for the whole thing so I am
not sure if you were there or not.)

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Vincenzo Ampolo <vincenzo.ampolo@gmail.com> wrote:
On 02/15/2013 11:29 AM, Scot A wrote:
> Vincenzo,
> I know for sure I have a 2 GB Flash drive around here.
> As for the choice of O/S, since Ubuntu is out,
> that would leave Mint or Xubuntu.
> Are there any other comparable O/S that
> rank with Xubuntu?
> Thanks again for your help!
> Namaste'
> Scot

Hi Scot,

2Gb should be enough for almost any distro, so don't worry about it. But
as others already pointed out, I would check that your 10 years old pc
can boot from usb. It was not common at that time to boot from usb indeed.

Diclaimer: this is my personal preference and I don't wanna start a
distro-war.

This is the selection I would try:
Lubuntu
Xubuntu
Debian

Debian will fit on everything, and ubuntu/lubuntu/xubuntu/kubuntu are
just a pimped debian.

If you don't like debian based you can go with:
Fedora (it may not work since it's heavy, like ubuntu)
Opensuse
Slackware
and many others...

Also, we can meet at mishkas this weekend and try to figure out what
works and what doesn't if you are around.

--
Vincenzo Ampolo
http://goshawknest.wordpress.com/