2013 Jan 11 13:38

Re: [vox] [OT] reffering sites

My best guess, SEO (Search Engine Optimization).
Some bots crawl the web and spoof being a link followed from another
site in order to get into your web logs which they then hope might be
publicly exposed and scanned by major search engines. The search engine
in it's simplicity doesn't know your analysis page isn't a real content
page and assumes you back linked to that site, increasing the total
number of sites linked to the perpetrator. In theory raising the
likelihood their site comes up in web searches.

There's another common variant, the websites that are nothing but links
to other websites surrounded by ads.

As long as your site logs aren't public don't worry about it too much.
Also don't bother visiting most of them, because your visit is probably
earning them money from ad views (another possible motive).

Enjoy,
Alex