2012 Jan 04 17:21

[vox] [fwd] SVLUG January 4th meeting: Ben Spade on 'A RoboticModerator to Remove Forum Comment Spam' [Mtn View]

FYI!

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Mark Weisler -----

Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 14:33:42 -0800
From: Mark Weisler
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG January 4th meeting: Ben Spade on 'A Robotic
 Moderator to Remove Forum Comment Spam'
To: svlug-announce@lists.svlug.org

WHEN:

  Wednesday, January 4th, 2012
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

  TOPIC:
    A Robotic Moderator to Remove Forum Comment Spam

  PRESENTED BY:
    Ben Spade, Telenovella World

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    Comment spam is currently a major plague affecting Web sites with any
    type of submission or comment form facility. Ben Spade, SVLUG's second
    president, encounters the comment-spam problem daily while operating
    Telenovelas, a popular discussion forum concerning Spanish soap operas
    (telenovelas) and East Asian dramas. Ben says: "What is it, where does
    it come from, and what can be done about it? Can this be done without
    destroying the visitor's reason to visit the Web site?" Ben will detail
    his solutions.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Ben Spade worked for a medical computing company from the 1970s to the
    1990s, did a stint at Linuxcare, and now has gone into independent
    Linux consulting. He was SVLUG's second president, and first spoke to
    SVLUG in 1997.

LOCATION:

  Symantec
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!

--
Mark Weisler