Re: [vox] What's On the Blacklist? Three Sites That SOPA Could Putat Risk [EFF]

Re: [vox] What's On the Blacklist? Three Sites That SOPA Could Putat Risk [EFF]

Under current law, the copyright owner can notify the host of alleged
copyright infringement, and request that the item be removed.  (5-days
to comply)

The poster, also, has the right to request that it be replaced by
stating it doesn't violate copyright under "Fair Use".

This constitutes "reasonable effort".

Under the new bill, should the copyright owner file a false report of
copyright infringement, the poster and the host can both sue for
expenses associated with defending themselves.

Also, as someone has mentioned (maybe me?), to get a court injunction to
freeze payments to the hosting site requires "probable cause" that the
material violates copyright AND that the hosting site has ignored
requests to remove the material.

FURTHER, IF the hosting site is UNABLE through their efforts to remove
the posted material, the hosting site is NOT held accountable or liable.
The hosting site is deemed to have made a reasonable effort.

Takes practice, but almost all laws are written to the 10th grade level
of reading. Please, do NOT interpret that as a "FLAME".  Laws are
required to be written so that the average citizen can read and
comprehend. It just takes practice wading through all the rhetoric. All
bills are broken into at least 3- parts: 1) Description of what the law
is addressing 2) the law itself 3) the penalties and protections for
violating the law and/or filing false reports.

What usually happens though is that the average citizen trusts some
"authority" to tell them what the law means rather than trust their own
ability to correctly interpret the material.

Oftentimes, the organizations or individuals screaming the loudest are
the ones at risk should the legislation be passed and signed into law
because they know they might be held accountable for future
transgressions. Laws can NEVER be written to be retroactive, BTW.

Hope you finish reading it.

IMHO,

MJR