January 6: Social gathering
2011 Aug 08 14:15

[vox] [fwd] ACCU: Wednesday, August 10 - Max Kanat-Alexander,"Code Simplicity: The Science of Software Development"

----- Forwarded message from Ali Cehreli <acehreli@gmail.com> -----

Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 23:19:17 -0700
From: Ali Cehreli <acehreli@gmail.com>
Subject: ACCU: Wednesday, August 10 - Max Kanat-Alexander, "Code Simplicity:
 The Science of Software Development"
To: acehreli@yahoo.com

When:      Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Topic:     Code Simplicity: The Science of Software Development
Speaker:   Max Kanat-Alexander
Time:      6:30pm doors open
          7:00pm meeting begins
Where:     Symantec
          VCAFE building
          350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
          Mountain View, CA 94043
Map:       <http://tinyurl.com/334rv5>
Directions: VCAFE is accessible from the semicircular courtyard
between Symantec buildings <http://tinyurl.com/2dccgc>
Cost:      Free
More Info: <http://www.accu-usa.org>

The topic of this meeting will be "the fundamental laws of software
development", as described in Max's upcoming book "Code Simplicity".
The book took many years to compile, and is currently planned to be
published by O'Reilly Media in Q4 of 2011. This talk starts off with a
discussion of the broad, general rules currently known in the field of
software design, to give us a good base. Then we'll discuss the
newly-discovered Laws of Software Design and how they can be used in
practical software development, showing also how they underlie many of
the currently-known best practices.

The hope of "Code Simplicity" is to change the world of software
development, to take it from its current rudimentary, unsure state and
elevate it to a level where we all as software engineers have a common
base of ideas which we can use to understand, discuss, and handle
complexity, design, implementation, maintenance, change, and all of
the other broad aspects attendant to our software engineering lives.

Max Kanat-Alexander is the author of the forthcoming book "Code
Simplicity: The Science of Software Development" to be published by
O'Reilly in Q4 of 2011. He is also the Chief Architect of the Bugzilla
Project, the author of fedorafaq.org, and a Software Engineer at
YouTube.

Meetings are open to the public and are free of charge.

The ACCU meets monthly. Meetings are always open to the public and are
free of charge. To suggest topics and speakers please email Walter
Vannini via walterv@gbbservices.com

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer