2011 Jun 16 19:37

Re: [vox] Who thinks Java is cool?

On 06/15/2011 09:56 PM, Bill Ward wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Bill Broadley <bill@broadley.org> wrote:
>

>> I do wonder if Oracle will be successful in forcing google off of Java,
>> despite the fact that android phones don't run java.  If I had to guess
>> if forced they would switch to go for app development.
>>

>> Say what now? I thought Android devices ran only Java. And what's Oracle
> doing? I'm missing a lot of story here.

Android is programmed in Java but runs on a vm called Dalvik which
apparently not exactly Java but based on it.
http://www.dalvikvm.com/

Oracle is suing Google over various Patents and Copyrights related to
Java stuff on Android.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-20013546-265.html

There is also a bunch of controversy in the Java community at the moment
related to Sun and Oracle's relationship with the open source side of
things that's led to I believe the Apache Foundation leaving the Java
foundation board over Sun/Oracle not being willing to certify it's
Harmony java implementation.
http://onlysoftwareblog.com/2010/12/apache-leaves-java-community-process/

Enjoy,
Alex