2011 Jun 14 05:58

Re: [vox] Who thinks Java is cool?

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 06:58:45PM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:

> I used to hate Java, but now I think it's cool.

> Any comments?

I use Python and R whenever I can.  I know it's not politically correct
to say so, but I love the fact that scripting languages generally aren't
strongly typed, and that they get a lot more work done per line of code
than do C/C++/Java.

The core problem is that Java simply gets in my way.

If you're really into "safety," I would argue that the superior clarity
of code one gets from Python much more than compensates for the "unsafe"
lack of type checking.

Norm