2011 Apr 28 16:57

Re: [vox] Fwd: Programmng the Kernel...

On 04/23/2011 09:01 AM, Mikies Runs Baal wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Please, don't understate or ASS-U-ME anything other than what I stated.

Well your original post made me wonder if you know what a device driver
is.  I wouldn't ASS_U_ME that Jeff didn't make a good recommendation.

> It is a major project for a Senior Project leading to Post Graduate work.

Heh, well if you want better help I'd suggest revealing more about what
this major project involves.  Anyone that can google and follow basic
directions can click though a text menu or GUI to "eliminate extraneous
kernal device drivers".  Especially since you didn't mention why you
would need to eliminate those drivers.

> If you have appropriate suggestions for the topic, on how-to approach
> such a project, or research resources, they will be much appreciated.

I suggest either searching around for how to recompile your kernel on
the web and/or in the documentation for whatever distro you happen to
use.  Pretty much every distro has a HOWTO/Wiki/Documentation on how to
recompile your kernel for specific needs.

You mention "a custom device driver to /init the custom
software."   That's a rather strange way to state it.  Are you talking
about building an initrd to provide a pre-boot environment?  A new
kernel module?  Why would "custom software" require a kernel module?
What does that software do?

You haven't really given enough information for me to guess as to what
you might actually be trying to do.

> I am in research mode atm, and looking for appropriate resource materials.
>
> I have d/l'd some materials from various unix/linux documentation sites,
> but specifically was asking about these published tomes, and others that
> people might be familiar with that they feel comfortable recommending.

It's rather hard to make a recommendation on good resources to use with
basically zero information oh what you are trying to do.