2011 Apr 23 22:30

Re: [vox] Good quiet hardware for Myth TV

Re: [vox] Good quiet hardware for Myth TV

I really wanted to attend the Myth TV talk, but sadly I missed it.

I've been considering an HTPC for over a year now, and finally last
month I broke down and bought all the components, and have since
assembled the monster.  It took me this long, because I couldn't decide
on a dual or quad core processor (need for computing power? vs heat and
noise).  But I also wanted to get a case that would blend in with the
rest of the TV components and still be able to control the PC without
wires or dongles.  Also, although I really dislike microsoft and
windows, I went with win 7 home premium 64 bit for the media center and
netflix capability.  Unless I'm mistaken, Myth TV doesn't yet support
Netflix.

I know the question is limited to cases and fans, but it's easier for
me, I think, to share the build.  Now with that being said, it's not
perfect, and in fact I'll start another thread once I complete this
message asking for help about an issue I'll mention below.

Here is my build (1 month old):

ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe Motherboard
Crucial 2GB DDR3 SDRAM X2
Kingston SSDNow 30GB SSD (For OS)
Western Digital 320GB Scorpio Black notebook drive (For media)
Silverstone SOD01 slim slot loading SATA DVD RW drive
Silverstone ML02B case
HDHomerun dual tuner

The MB has a fan-less dual core processor, combined with a case that has
an external 120 Watt power supply.  The case itself has a single 50mm
fan that I've plugged into the CPU control for fan speed.  The two
notebook drives are very quiet.  According to the Kill-A-Watt meter,
I've maxed at 35 Watts.

I could easily go on, but I don't want to over do it.  The two problems
I have so far:

1.  Each RAM module works fine on it's own, but when used together, the
computer boots less than 25% of the time.

2.  It may be my TV, but the image provided by the HDMI isn't centered.
I've read the forums and I've used the ATI utility to change the
under/over scan, but the image is not symmetrical.  I've adjusted the
image for the top left and bottom, but the right side has a 2" black bar
(or green depending on the pixel resolution selection).

I'll ask for help on those in a new thread under vox-tech.

At the moment, I'm a little disappointed in my build for the two reasons
mentioned above, combined with some of the channels I want are encrypted
and require a cable box and Media Center having less content than I
remember (What happened to movie trailers and all the Internet TV channels?)

That's what I've got to share.

Aaron