2011 Apr 11 08:41

Re: [vox] Linux Laptop Purchase - Soliciting Suggestions

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:23 PM, Kevin Schultz <schultkl@ieee.org> wrote:
> So...any recent experience purchasing a laptop to run Linux? ;o)
[...]

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/ <-- if it runs ubuntu, it'll
likely run others

... when working within a budget & other constraints, I recommend
finding a laptop you like, and then checking against lists of
linux-friendly hardware
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softmodem <-- when I began using linux,
the "winmodem" was a thorn in the paw of open-sourcery).

Also, approach dealers with candor: "I intend to swap-in a larger hd,
& install linux onto it; if I succeed, I'll keep the laptop, otherwise
I'll return it for a refund."
... I ran this spiel at the self-certified Best Buy: "Using any os
other than 'windows' voids your warranty."
... sales-rep at Staples offered me an hearty handshake & a laptop on
which I'm composing this very reply.

Consider the lugod-community as holding an inventory of user-certified laptops
... I'm looking for one or two laptops to give to family, and my first
try will be at an upcoming meeting
... any one looking to replace an oldie-but-goodie might look for the
oldie-but-ahhh... well, I'll be looking for you. -g