2011 Apr 04 14:36

[vox] [fwd] Bup creator to give presentation Apr 9 or 10 [Bay AreaDebian, maybe in SF?]

FYI:

----- Forwarded message from Tony Godshall <tony@godshall.org> -----

Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 13:44:30 -0700
From: Tony Godshall <tony@godshall.org>
Subject: [bad] Bup creator to give presentation Apr 9 or 10
To: bad <bad@bad.debian.net>, buug <buug@weak.org>,
        conspire <conspire@linuxmafia.com>

Hi everyone

Bup "it backs things up" does efficient sub-file deduplication and
compression suitable for disk-to-disk or disk-to-remote-host backups.

It's based git and python and the rolling-checksum concept that makes
rsync transfers so efficient.

Bup has no user-friendly graphical UI yet- this will be more about the
technology and the commandline interface.

Avery wrote his Ph.D. thesis on this idea- it's sure to be
interesting, especially if you are familiar with git and hashes and
data compression algorithms.

Avery will be in town in about a week and has agreed to give a
presentation, and I'm working on the details.  No location has been
set yet- I thought I'd get the general word out sooner rather than
later to make sure word gets to the right people.  Please respond
privately if you hope to attend so I can figure out whether I can host
it at my place in SF or if I'll need to look for a bigger venue...
I'll send the specific location and schedule soon as it's firm.

Best Regards.

Tony

PS1: If you websearch for "bup", you'll be disappointed.  Searching
for "bup It Backs Things Up" gives much better results.

PS2: Feel free to forward

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer