2011 Mar 21 13:24

Re: [vox] Speaker on Monday may not make it

Re: [vox] Speaker on Monday may not make it

Here's a little tip for future reference when the Grapevine closes (it's
reopened now according to the CHP although traffic will probably be crazy
for a while):

Being from the area just north of the Grapevine and unfortunately familiar
with how to bypass it, your only option other than sitting around waiting
for it to reopen when 58 is also closed due to snow is to head up the 101
along the coast. It'll still get you to Davis, just a longer drive (Google
estimates 510 miles for the coastal route from LA to Davis vs 400 miles
for the Grapevine/I-5 route).

You can cut back over to I-5 at 46 (Paso Robles) or 152 (Gilroy) to avoid
the Bay Area toll bridges. I personally prefer 152 when driving from here
to the Bay Area as 46 is only a two-lane highway most of the way (one lane
each way) which turns it into a white knuckle drive of dodging crazy
people who are passing unsafely just to get from the valley to the coast
(or vis versa) 10 minutes quicker.