2011 Jan 31 21:22

[vox] [fwd] SVLUG Feb. 2nd meeting: Rick Moen on 'The Wild,Wild Web: Web?Browser Security, Performance,and Privacy' [Mtn View]

FYI

----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> -----

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:49:59 -0800
From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG Feb. 2nd meeting:  Rick Moen on 'The Wild,
	Wild Web:  Web	Browser Security, Performance, and Privacy'
To: svlug-announce@lists.svlug.org

WHEN:

  Wednesday, Feb. 2nd, 2011
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

  TOPIC:
    The Wild, Wild Web:  Web Browser Security, Performance, and Privacy

  PRESENTED BY:
    Rick Moen

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    Ever notice that Web page loads are still slow, and your browser
    still segfaults, despite software improvements?  It's not really
    your fault.  Many Web site are now weighed down with spurious content
    to track and log what you do and where you go, and that's not even
    counting the outright malware.  However, it turns out there are
    fairly easy measures users can take to fix the situation, get your
    performance back, and protect your privacy.  Rick Moen will detail
    those, explaining some of the ways the Web went wrong and how to
    fix them.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Rick Moen (http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/) is a longtime senior system
    administrator and member of SVLUG's Web Team, who also runs nearby
    Linux user group CABAL (http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/), meeting at
    his and his wife's house in West Menlo Park, and has been fooling
    with various Unixes since the 1980s.

LOCATION:

  Symantec
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer