2011 Jan 20 11:24

[vox] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 01/26/2011

[vox] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 01/26/2011

PENINSULA LINUX USERS' GROUP (PenLUG) PRESENTS:

   +-------------------------------------+
   |Date:    |Wednesday, January 26, 2011|
   |---------+---------------------------|
   |Time:    |6:00 - 8:00 PM             |
   |---------+---------------------------|
   |         |Bayshore Technology Park   |
   |Location:|1300 Island Drive          |
   |         |Redwood City, CA 94065     |
   |         |Suite 106 - Training Room  |
   |---------+---------------------------|
   |RSVP:    |Facebook: (coming soon)    |
   |         |or mail rsvp@penlug.org    |
   +-------------------------------------+

   Note we are now meeting on Wednesdays! Since March 2010, we moved to the
   fourth Wednesday of each month (except in November and December, when we
   meet on the second Wednesday to avoid holiday conflicts). The meeting is
   hosted by NewlineNoosh. There is no sponsor for food/drinks, so please
   bring a potluck item to share.

   Agenda:

     * 6:00 PM Potluck snacks
     * 6:15 PM Free book giveaways or other prizes
     * 6:30 PM Presentation begins
     * 8:00 PM Meeting ends

  Blekko

   Blekko is a new Web-scale search engine, offering focused searching using
   "slashtags", which enable you to restrict search results to the specific
   sites of actual interest. We'll use some open-source slashtags as
   examples. The rest of the talk will focus on Map/Reduce done better, NoSQL
   databases, tuning Linux for good performance, etc.

  Greg Lindahl

   Greg Lindahl is CTO at Blekko. He was previously a founder at PathScale,
   where he was the architect of the InfiniPath low-latency InfiniBand HCA,
   used to build tightly-coupled supercomputing clusters. Prior to
   PathScale's founding in 2001, Greg worked on commodity Linux clusters at
   HPTi, including the 1999 Forecast Systems Lab system, which was the first
   time a Linux cluster won a conventional supercomputing procurement. Greg
   started using Linux in 1996, while working on the Legion "grid"
   distributed OS project at the University of Virginia, and you can trace
   the history of his Linux laptop usage from the guides he's written at
   linux-on-laptops.com.

RSVP

  Although it is not required, we like to have an idea of how many
  people to expect, so if possible please email rsvp@penlug.org if you
  are planning to attend.

GETTING THERE

  For information on getting to the meeting, please see:
      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1300+Island+Drive,+Redwood+City,+CA
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/DrivingDirectionsQualys
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/TransitDirectionsQualys

  Traffic on 101 can be pretty bad in the evening, so we encourage you
  to check traffic conditions before driving by dialing 5-1-1 on your
  phone or visiting www.511.org, and if possible to take public transit
  (best bet: bicycle via Caltrain) or carpool to this meeting.

MORE INFORMATION

  See www.penlug.org for more information.

This notice is being sent to the following mailing lists:
	members@penlug.org
	announce@penlug.org
	sf-lug@linuxmafia.com
	balug-talk@lists.balug.org
	svlug@lists.svlug.org
	svevents@yahoogroups.com
	vox@lists.lugod.org

  Please reply to suggest any additions or other changes.