2011 Jan 05 16:14

[vox] Linux Users' Group of Davis,January meetings: "LINUX IN SPAAAAAACE!" & "If Tux the Penguinoffered you Kool-Aid, would you drink it?"

[vox] Linux Users' Group of Davis,January meetings: "LINUX IN SPAAAAAACE!" & "If Tux the Penguinoffered you Kool-Aid, would you drink it?"

The Linux Users' Group of Davis (LUGOD) will be holding two special meetings
this month:

----------------------
SPECIAL BONUS MEETING:
----------------------

  Tuesday
  January 11, 2011
  7:00pm - 9:00pm

Presentation:

  "LINUX IN SPAAAAAACE!"
  by: Nicole Carlson

    Linux, on satellites?  Yes, at last!  Learn why it hasn't been
    happening up until now, what's changed and changing, what the future
    holds, and how it impacts YOU.

About the Speaker:

  Nicole Carlson, CISSP, has a Master's in Computer Science from
  UC Davis and used to be quite active in LUGOD before she graduated
  and got a job and moved away.

---------------------------
REGULARLY-SCHEDULED MEETING
---------------------------

  Monday
  January 17, 2011
  7:00pm - 9:00pm

Presentation:

  "If Tux the Penguin offered you Kool-Aid, would you drink it?"
  Mark Terranova, GidgetKitchen.org

    "I already have, mmmm, the taste of Freedom."  We have a caring nature
    in free and open source software (FOSS) communities, and this in turn
    can create some funny similarities with cults.  Linux is like a cult,
    but a good cult. People should acknowledge that what we do is great
    AND unusual, and it would be great to get more folks to join us...

About the Speaker:

  Mark Terranove is spokesperson at GidgetKitchen, a non-profit
  organization forming in the San Francisco Bay Area that encourages
  the use of modern technology, recycling & re-used electronics.

Anniversary Celebration:

  This meeting also marks the Linux Users' Group of Davis's 12th anniversary.
  To celebrate, free food & drinks will be provided!

------------------------------
Location & Further Information
------------------------------

Both of these meetings will be held at:

  Explorit Nature Center
  3141 5th Street
  Davis, California 95616

For more details on both of these meetings, visit:

  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/upcoming/

For maps, directions, public transportation schedules, etc., visit:

  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/explorit/on.php

------------
About LUGOD:
------------

  The Linux Users' Group of Davis is a 501(c)7 non-profit organization
  dedicated to the Linux computer operating system and other Open Source
  and Free Software.

  Since 1999, LUGOD has held regular meetings with guest speakers
  in Davis, California, as well as other events in Davis and the greater
  Sacramento region.  Events are always free and open to the public.

  Please visit our website for more details:  http://www.lugod.org/

--
Bill Kendrick
pr@lugod.org