January 6: Social gathering
2010 Nov 17 00:44

Re: [vox] Sheevaplug

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 01:54:08PM -0800, Michael Wenk mjwenk-at-ucdavis.edu |lugod| wrote:
> I'm looking at replacing my NSLU2, as its starting to behave unreliably.
> I'm looking at replacing it with a Sheevaplug.  Or should I look at the
> Guruplug ?  Anyone have any advice here ?  I'd prefer to stick with
> something linux based and configurable for my home NAS.
>
> Mike

Fair warning: I bought 4 Sheevaplugs and a Guruplug Server Plus. The former
took around a month to show up and the latter took about three months. I
called them a few times to nag, no idea how long it would have taken
sans-nagging.

Also of note is that the guruplugs have fans in them now which may be an
annoyance.

The Seagate DockStar may be of interest to you - it's based on the same
hardware as the sheevaplug and it's supposedly possible to put a non-stock
OS on it, and it's pretty cheap.

-Ryan