January 6: Social gathering
2010 Nov 11 20:44

Re: [vox] ACM programming contest

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Bill Broadley <bill@broadley.org> wrote:

On 11/11/2010 02:29 PM, Bill Ward wrote:
> Of course the judges
> shouldn't know who wrote what, for impartiality.

Yeah, I can see the need for judges if the best program can't be
quantified in some objective way.  I lean towards settling the contest
on the program's field of battle.  Personally I'm more motivated to find
the best solution I can instead of something as open ended as "video
game" or "email utility".

I'd rather have the contest entries prove useful beyond the contest itself.  You don't want a dozen programs that all do the same thing do you?  Wouldn't you rather have about a dozen innovative, different tools that all do something different and useful?