2010 Nov 11 17:36

Re: [vox] ACM programming contest

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Bill Broadley <bill@broadley.org> wrote:
On 11/10/2010 05:51 PM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> I'll run it. Prizes? Someone else can get those. Who is interested in
> doing it?

I'm not a fan of the common contest along the lines of:
  Given this input <a list of foo>, read them in and sort/pack/search/solve
  and then output the list.  You have till deadline Z... Go!

How about selecting a jury of respected people - perhaps those who have spoken at LUGOD meetings in the past? - and asking them to judge.  Pick a general topic, like a video game or an email utility or something, and leave it to the judges to pick the best one(s).  You could make the topic a little specific so as to make it less likely someone could dust off something they'd written long ago and pretending it was new.  Of course the judges shouldn't know who wrote what, for impartiality.

As for prizes, perhaps some of those selfsame past speakers work for companies that would be interested in donating something?