2010 Nov 11 14:29

Re: [vox] ACM programming contest

On 11/10/2010 05:51 PM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> I'll run it. Prizes? Someone else can get those. Who is interested in
> doing it?

I'm not a fan of the common contest along the lines of:
   Given this input <a list of foo>, read them in and sort/pack/search/solve
   and then output the list.  You have till deadline Z... Go!

I would however be interested in a collaborative programming on something
useful and/or fun.  Something like:
* A networked game
* Porting a useful library to a platform in need
* writing a useful plugin
* implementing a bot for a networked game
* Adding a feature to some open source project.

Then again a cool programming contest would be to write a bot for a game and
have the game rules decide the winner.   Hopefully something way simpler than
RARS[1].   Maybe something more along the lines of c-robots[2], or xbattle[3],
or a simple 2-d tank game.

[1] http://rars.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crobots
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbattle