2010 Oct 28 20:35

Re: [vox] Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:25:49AM -0700, Brian Lavender wrote:
>> What you say is exactly what is happening. I ask technical questions
>> on the list about OpenOffice and no one responds. I post an email as to
>> why you might not want to use OpenOffice and the FLOSS'ers (FOSS as you
>> call it) immediately jump to its defense.  I think we have a number of
>> hobbyists on this list. There should be a Lugod elite organization. Those
>> who practice it and those who get it. ;-)

Well, to a large degree before (and to some extent now) posting to
this list, I just skimmed messages, and just trashed anything without
immediate interest.  I doubt I'm the only person here who is
subscribed to so many mailing lists that fully reading everything is
impossible.

There were also several messages where people stated a preference
using LaTeX rather than any word processor (and indeed presentation)
software.  Others defended using whatever worked, whether it was OO,
MS Word, or iWorks.  I know that depending on what I need done, I'll
use OO, Neo-Office, LaTeX, InDesign, Scribus, emacs, (or even vi) etc.
Each has its strengths and drawbacks.  As to specific technical
issues, I'll leave that to people who use $SPECIFIC_APP more regularly
and thus, are more qualified to answer.

> I think this is why we have 'vox' (general discussion, chatter, and
> apparently arguments when I'm not paying attention)

Oldest traditios on the internet: Fluff, thread-drift, and arguing :)

> and 'vox-tech' for
> the "how do I do this?" questions, and (hopefully) answers.

Great.  Yet another list to subscribe to.

Regards,
Will

--
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating
than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the