2010 Oct 27 13:03

Re: [vox] Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

Re: [vox] Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

I may be a hobbyist, but I would gladly try to help with OpenOffice issues if I saw them on this mailing list.  Granted, I'm sure there are many things way over my head when it comes to the nitty gritty, but I am an avid supporter of OpenOffice (and now it's fork, LibreOffice) because, in my opinion, it has more pros than cons once it's figured out.

OpenOffice seems to be (this is my observation) designed around the features of Office 2003.  It doesn't have the fancy ribbon or nearly as many nifty features (although direct PDF export is handy).  It's not exactly a fair comparison between OpenOffice and MS Office.  But there's no reason OpenOffice can't catch up.

It's also interesting that Office 2007 features the ability to save a .od* document, as if Microsoft is realizing the importance of supporting an open standard as well as its own proprietary formats.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Brian Lavender <brian@brie.com> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 01:51:23AM -0700, Joseph Arruda wrote:
> Is it still 1998?  What is "passe" is the same damned intractable 'Free
> Software'* equivalent to high-school macho posturing, and a near total
> appearance of being oblivious to anything beyond what is appearing more
> and more to be a simple, myopic agenda that takes no one else's
> preferences or experiences into consideration.

I like your quote Joe. I reminisce the days of 1998.

What you say is exactly what is happening. I ask technical questions
on the list about OpenOffice and no one responds. I post an email as to
why you might not want to use OpenOffice and the FLOSS'ers (FOSS as you
call it) immediately jump to its defense.  I think we have a number of
hobbyists on this list. There should be a Lugod elite organization. Those
who practice it and those who get it. ;-)

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/