January 6: Social gathering
2010 Oct 27 10:25

Re: [vox] Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

Re: [vox] Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

Is it still 1998?  What is "passe" is the same damned intractable 'Free
Software'* equivalent to high-school macho posturing, and a near total
appearance of being oblivious to anything beyond what is appearing more
and more to be a simple, myopic agenda that takes no one else's
preferences or experiences into consideration.

Getting on a bully pulpit without having a clear set of counter
arguments other than what can otherwise appear to be  "if its not
surgically embedded in the hair-swamp of RMS, then it can't be true
under any and all circumstances regardless of any other facts let alone
normative preferences." is at best, trite.  At worst it is disingenuous
and counterproductive.

This is the same skull-chatter that was tired and sclerotic in 98, and
it has not improved over time.

* I put that in single quotes because only FSF hardliners seem to behave
this way; which is also why the term/movement around "Open Source", and
its generally less dogmatic nature has made a lot more progress overall
than the FSF.

ja