2010 Oct 25 14:06

Re: [vox] Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

Re: [vox] Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

If the sole selling point is cost, then you've 'lost' the functional argument.  I figured that out a dozen years ago, and that has not changed since.

The trick is discerning whether what the person wants to do is achievable with FOSS; if so, you have a potential convert.  If not, then you have a bug/feature to file with whatever project/OS you want to promote, and do some impromptu product management to help the cause along.

ja

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> wrote:
On 10/25/2010 09:17 AM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> This is something to remember when passing out CDs and saying:
>
> "It's free."
>
> We know the virtues of liberated software and once we figure it out how
> to use it, we are only constrained by our knowlege, but should we truly
> say, "It's free." when users have to make a time investment to use it
> and at times be constrained by features they have in MS Office but not
> in OpenOffice?
>
> Microsoft created the TODO list for OpenOffice and entered into the twelve
> step program for OpenOffice's path to success.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/showcase/en/US/details/faaf9eb8-77c6-4bed-bc08-c069a7bfbb04
>
> brian

It's funny to see all those Microsoft-bashing comments on their own web site!

Rod

Joseph Arruda
http://www.josepharruda.com