2010 Oct 16 19:44

[vox] Internet dying?

Normally my internet access is fairly good but recently I have had a lot of episodes of really bad response.
My connection is DSL through earthlink. when one of hese episodes happens, it usually seems to be
the DNS lookup that hangs. I find this puzzlling as frequently the message in the little window at the bottom
of the browser is looking up the site I am already at. I thought the browser cached the sites it was on. But worse,
sometimes it ends up on the no such luck message from the DNS server. This was earthlink at first but I
changed my config so that now it is openDNS. When this happens it doesn't seem to matter what site
I'm trying to reach. Sometimes I go ahead and open addiional tabs and try to reach several sites.
Then they all hang for a while then all the pages come up at about the same time.

Are other people having this kind of issue? I have thought it my be my ISP but the fact that I get
failure messages from openDNS seems to say this is a more general problem.

Richard