2010 Sep 30 12:37

[vox] Fwd: [Open Science club starting back up] Please Distributethis announcement to your grad groups!!

----- Forwarded message from Jason Moore -----

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 12:35:37 -0700
From: Jason Moore
Subject: Fwd: Please Distribute this announcement to your grad groups!!

   starting things up again!

   ---------- Forwarded message ----------
   From: Jason Moore
   Date: Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:03 AM
   To: openscience <openscience@ucdavis.edu>

   Hey everyone!
   Time to start things up again. We've made this short announcement about
   our first meeting next week. Please forward this onto your grad group and
   any other appropriate channels (Facebook, twitter, etc)!
   Looking forward to seeing you all next week.
   Here's the letter:
   Have you ever wondered who owns your research? Why we have to pay for the
   articles we write? Why public research is so hard for the public to
   obtain? and are there better alternatives?
   If so, you should join us Wednesday, October 6th, 5:30 pm @ the Delta of
   Venus, 122 B St., for the first Davis Open Science meeting of the year. We
   will have a brief introduction, discuss how we can help out with the
   upcoming Open Access Week, and make plans for the new academic year.
   Davis Open Science is a group that is interested in the future of science
   being based on community and truly sharing knowledge. Some of the main
   ideas in the open science include:

     * Open Access Publishing: The idea that scientific literature should be
       free to the public and easily accessed. Open access models are
       happening!
     * Open Tools: The creation of tools that aren't hindered by proprietary
       ownership ideas. The Open Source software movement is the world's
       leader in open tools.
     * Open Data: The idea that data should be available free from copyrights
       and patents for the purposes of scientific sharing and
       reproducibility.
     * Open Notebook: A way to share and expose the notebook of the
       scientist, revealing details that aren't normally published, so there
       is no "insider information."

   The group's purpose is to build a community for sharing knowledge and
   resources and to bring together a unified voice on Open Science ideas. The
   group builds upon three core ideas:

     * Community: to build a face-to-face community through
       meetings/gatherings and to build an online community using modern web
       tools.
     * Tools: to share research tools and expertise to advance open science.
     * Lobby: to form a unified voice that can encourage and influence the
       University and other governing bodies to adopt policy that favors open
       science initiatives.

   We meet informally, the first Wednesday of each month at 5:30 @ the Delta
   of Venus, and organize talks and seminars along the year. To stay updated
   on the group*s events and discussions, join the email list here.
   --
   http://mae.ucdavis.edu/~biosport/jkm/
   Sports Biomechanics Lab, UC Davis

----- End forwarded message -----