2010 Sep 14 05:37

Re: [vox] Stuff you really need to run a GNU/Linux network

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Brian Lavender wrote:

> I think to really catapult GNU/Linux, we have to be able to easily
> deploy these services. Otherwise, we'll just remain hobbyists or single
> server hackers (with backups).

HEY is that a shot at me? (gee thanks :)

This is a great discussion (one of the better ones) but its mostly
opinions. Everything has its pros and cons. I cant really FAULT your
choices. But it sounds more like an internet providor than a server (I
know because Ive worked SysAdmin for ISPs). I didnt see anything in the
original request that spoke a need for multiple servers. If it had then
some of my recommendations would have agreed with yours. That seems more
of a "growth" plan you are laying out.

The desire for a server, is the desire (usually) to simplify an
arrangement that already consists of many machines in the same
environment. Jumping directly to many servers seems abit quick (or job
security)

> And speaking of backups, what better way can you think besides having
> an offsite backup of rsyncing your data to another hot fail server?!!!

This I do agree with. Its the system I used at home (for as long as it
lasted). Ive also used various fancier forms of backup both network
servers for the military and for ISPs. No matter what they used
(compression schemes, tapes, CDs, etc) I much preferred a full
uncompressed working copy. Anytime there was a need to use the other
methods we had to reremember or reresearch the way to do it, or worse yet
found that the rotations had failed or the media gotten corrupt.

A full version makes it easy to see if it worked, to copy back only
cerrtain files, or to simply put the backup server online with a simply
change of address. The backup machine doesnt have to be an exact match in
size and power. And some use for it can be found to alleviate load on the
main server

Gandalf  Parker
--
Debian is server