2010 Sep 13 16:55

Re: [vox] Stuff you really need to run a GNU/Linux network

On 09/11/2010 04:22 PM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> So, before you even get started with a GNU/Linux network it seems to really
> be effective you need to have the following.
>
> And, it's still not that easy to set up and configure. But it is getting easier.
> I just did a little digging on what is out there.
>
> NTP
> http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7818/

	Agree. All systems should have a working NTP on them. And as
	far as I'm concern it is a requirement for servers. Otherwise
	how can you trust your log files?

> Kerberos
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3329
>
> A Directory Server
> http://directory.apache.org/
>
> And configure them.
> http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4738
> http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4765
>
> And then, you have to get your services integrated into them such as Samba,
> email, etc.

	The rest of these depend on the environment you are running
	in. If you are not going to support windows systems you don't
	need Samba. NFS will do fine. And you can get buy with
	NIS+.

	As for Kerberos, I have gotten to the point where I no
	longer use Telnet or FTP. I use SSH and SCP. There is
	a windows program called WinScp which will allow windows
	users to/from an SCP server. And it is very easy to
	set-up. As for the rest, I much like the idea of a
	VPM between machines. Which gives everything a secure
	tunnel to run in. There are better tools in my mind
	than Kerberos.

						Tony