2010 Sep 09 23:05

Re: [vox] T-Mobile "G2"

On 09/09/2010 05:27 PM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> The diversity of phone frequencies in the US steals some of the
advantage of contract-less service, but if you can find the smartphone
you like without a contract then you'll probably come out ahead without
the contract (assuming you can afford it at all... it is more than just
a phone).

I had a Android Sprint Evo 4G and a Verizon Droid without contract.  I
was considering getting service with Sprint or Verizon.  Neither would
give me $1.00 off my monthly cost if I brought my own phone.  So I gave
one away, and traded the second for a nexus-1.  T-mobile does give you a
significant discount if you bring your own phone (on the order of $240
over 2 years).

Depending on your usage patterns, budget, and access to Wifi you might
consider not paying for a data plan.  T-mobile allows this if you bring
your own phone.  Neither sprint or verizon does.  In fact the Evo4G adds
a $10 a month "4G" charge... even if it's not available in your area.
Considering data is around $30 a month that might make a pretty big
difference if you are on the edge of affording an android phone.