2010 Aug 01 23:30

Re: [vox] Android roundtable?

I am not often in Davis these days, so I won't be likely to show up at a roundtable, but I want to put in a plug for Swype if you go touch screen only. I prefer it to a hardware keyboard. Look for it when you choose a phone since their website states they don't want to market it direct through the App store, and many manufacturers are bundling it.

Other apps...
K-9 Mail (POP and IMAP)
Keepass Droid
NewsRob
Mypod (asterisk: it doesn't always respond well to user interaction... and the UI is a little hard to get used to)

"Bill Kendrick" <nbs@sonic.net> wrote:

>I recently got my 2nd Android-based phone (went from Google Ion aka T-Mobile MyTouch to the new MyTouch Slide), and I know a lot of folks out here are either (1) also using a variety of Android devices (I'm guessing most, if not all, are phones) or (2) interested in what all the buzz is about.
>
>From my own standpoint, I feel like I've only scraped the surface of what these things can do, and find that there's a lot of variety in terms of devices capabilities, OS versions, and carrier and/or device specific issues or pitfalls. (e.g., Google is rolling out a feature that will allow App purchases via carrier billing rather than Google Checkout + credit card... except T-Mob already does that... guess we made a lucky choice.)
>
>I wonder if others out here would be interested in participating in a roundtable so we can share what we've learned. Particularly interesting to me is which apps are good and trustable. (I find the market mostly "rough", with a few gems, and a lot of creepy stuff. Why does a tic-tac-toe game need access to my phone & contact info? :-P )
>
>Since we're booked thru early 2011, it wouldn't be for a while. Another alternative (esp since these devices are hard (I think!?) to throw onto a projector) would be to do a less formal one at one of our social gatherings.
>
>-bill!
>(Sent from MyTouch Slide... would NOT have been possible w/o this keyboard ;) )_______________________________________________
>vox mailing list
>vox@lists.lugod.org