2010 Jul 07 17:31

[vox] [fwd] SVLUG July 7th meeting: Not Your Father's AssemblyLanguage

Whoops, if you leave now, you might just make it to Mtn View for this. :)

----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen -----

Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 00:02:19 -0700
From: Rick Moen
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG July 7th meeting: Not Your Father's Assembly Language
To: svlug-announce@lists.svlug.org

WHEN:

  Wednesday, July 7th, 2010
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

  TOPIC:
    Not Your Father's Assembly Language

  PRESENTED BY:
    Randall Hyde

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    Just as high-level languages have evolved over the past 50 years, so
    has assembly language. Alas, assembly language has been unfairly
    demonized by software engineers whose main experience with assembly
    language was in a college or university assembly language course, being
    taught with an assembler whose feature list came straight from the
    1960s. This talk will discuss why assembly language is still relevant,
    and will describe a more modern implementation of assembly language
    (HLA - the High Level Assembler), emphasizing the portability aspects
    of HLA.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Randall Hyde is the author of Write Great Code, Volumes 1 and 2 (No
    Starch Press) and the co-author of MASM 6.0 Bible (The Waite Group). He
    has written for Dr. Dobb's Journal, Byte, and various professional
    journals. Hyde taught assembly language at the University of California,
    Riverside for over a decade.

    http://homepage.mac.com/randyhyde/webster.cs.ucr.edu/
    http://www.amazon.com/Waite-Groups-Microsoft-Macro-Assembler/dp/0672301555

LOCATION:

  Symantec
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer