2010 May 05 23:57

Re: [vox] wd EARS drives in Linux

On 05/05/2010 06:47 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136514
>
> Anyone know of any pros/cons of the newer Western Digital 'ears' model
> drives in Linux?
> They have 4kB sectors which are larger and different from 512B sectors
> of hard drives in the past.

With 4KB random (unaligned) writes you end up with the ugly case of 4KB
cross the 4KB boundary so you end up reading 8KB, modify the 4KB you
need to, and write 4KB.  This is especially painful since once you read
4KB you have to wait for the disk to rotate again (1/120th of a second
or so) before you can write.  So the penalty is a factor of 4 in
bandwidth, and an extra disk rotation (1/120th of a second)..

Not that normal desktop workloads do that particularly much.  It's not
particularly hard to align a partition table when you create one, but
you end up with this problem if you accept the defaults.

Here's a decent article on it:
  http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-4kb-sector-disks/

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/WD20EARS-in-Ubuntu-has-poor-performance/td-p/16377