2010 Apr 16 12:52

Re: [vox] Linux Equivalent to IPod?

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:28:34PM -0700, Bob Scofield wrote:
> So is [there] a non-Apple Linux device that's like an IPod?

Sure, plenty!  I can't personally recommend any particular
one, nor do I know how many of these are available in the US,
or still available at all, but here's a good starting point:

  http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux-For-Devices-Articles/Linux-PDAs-PMPs-PNDs-and-other-Handhelds/

(PMP = Personal Music Player)

My wife has one of the older iPods... Nano? (Small, but with
a small backlit LCD), and I have an iPod Touch from work.
I think my wife manages her music (but not that often) via
amaroK or gpod or something.  The latter is used for nothing
but ebook testing purposes.  (I don't even know my iTunes
account password offhand, so it's impossible for me to even
update the _free_ apps that are already installed on it!
*mindboggle*)

Way back before iPods even existed, I had a music player
of some sort, that I was able to sync to my Linux box over
parallel port(?).  These days, if I really wanted music
on the go, I'd shove stuff onto my Android phone.
We only really listen to music on our laptops or in the car,
and the car has an AUX in and we've got a GPS that has an SD
slot and can play MP3s.

If you're willing to live with a non-Linux-based MP3 and/or OGG Vorbis
player that you can still sync with a Linux desktop/laptop, then your
options probably open up (esp. if they just mount as a USB storage
device, and/or have an SD card)

Sent from my computer