January 6: Social gathering
2010 Apr 05 19:19

[vox] [fwd] Featherweight Linux by Akkana Peck [SVLUG in Mtn View,Wed Apr 7th]

I've added this week's (as well as May and June's SVLUG meetings --
see below) to LUGOD's calendar:  http://www.lugod.org/calendar/

Enjoy!

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Andrew Fife -----

Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 02:19:17 +0000 (GMT)
From: Andrew Fife
Subject: [svlug-announce] Featherweight Linux by Akkana Peck (WEDNESDAY)
To: svlug-announce@lists.svlug.org

SPEAKER:  Akkana Peck
TOPIC:  Featherweight Linux

DATE: Wednesday, April 7th, 2010
TIME: 7pm-9pm

ABSTRACT
====================
Slow is the new black! The "netbook" craze, with machines like the ASUS Eee family, has raised a lot of interest in small and relatively slow hardware. Even if you don't have a shiny new netbook, what about that older laptop sitting in your closet... that one that you stopped using because it was too slow? Maybe you've wondered if there's a way to bring that old hardware back to life?

This talk will cover ways of configuring a modern Linux distribution such as Ubuntu to run efficiently on slow CPU, low-memory machines. You'll see how you can get big performance gains from areas such as:

    * speeding up the boot process
    * options for lightweight window managers
    * performance tools that can help you find bottlenecks
    * tuning your kernel
    * finding lightweight alternatives to big applications

SPEAKER BIO
====================
Akkana Peck[1] is a freelance programmer and writer who has been involved with open source for roughly two decades, contributing code to Mozilla/Firefox, GIMP and a variety of other projects. She's also the author of "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional" and has written an assortment of tutorials for Linux Planet and other sites, including her own site.[2]

[1] http://www.shallowsky.com/akkana.html
[2] http://www.shallowsky.com/

UPCOMING SPEAKERS
====================

May 5th - "IPv6 Essentials for Linux Administrators" by Owen DeLong

June 2nd - "Hijacking Web 2.0 Sites with SSLstrip and Slowloris" by Sam Browne

LOCATION
====================

  Symantec
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer