2010 Mar 26 16:22

[vox] BayPIGgies meeting Thursday, March 25,2010: Python 3: The Next Generation

[vox] BayPIGgies meeting Thursday, March 25,2010: Python 3: The Next Generation

BayPIGgies meeting Thursday, March 25, 2010: Python 3: The Next
Generation

Tonight's talk is
* Python 3: The Next Generation
by Wesley Chun

Meetings usually start with a Newbie Nugget, a short discussion
of an essential Python feature, especially for those new to
Python.
Tonight's Newbie Nugget: None: It's all Py 3 tonight!

LOCATION
Symantec Corporation
Symantec Vcafe
350 Ellis Street
Mountain View, CA 94043
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&ei=w6i_Sfr6MZmQsQOzlv0v&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&msid=116202735295394761637.00046550c09ff3d96bff1&ll=37.397693,-122.053707&spn=0.002902,0.004828&z=18

BayPIGgies meeting information is available at
http://www.baypiggies.net/

------------------------ Agenda ------------------------

..... 7:30 PM ...........................
General hubbub, inventory end-of-meeting announcements, any
first-minute announcements.

..... 7:35 PM to 7:45 PM ................
Newbie Nugget: Wesley will start his Py 3 talk.

..... 7:45 PM to 8:40 PM (or so) ................
* Python 3: The Next Generation

Python is currently at a crossroads: Python 2 has taken it from a
quiet word-of-mouth language to prime time, with many companies
around the world using it and an ever-increasing global marketshare
of the programming world. But now comes Python 3, the first version
of the language that is not backwards compatible with previous
releases.

What does this mean?
Are all my Python programs going to break?
Will I have to rewrite everything?
How much time do I have?
When is Python 2 going to be EOL'd?
Is Python 3 a complete rewrite, and will I even recognize it?
What are the changes between Python 2 and 3 anyway?
Are migration plans or transition tools available?
To start learning Python, should I do Python 2 or Python 3?
Are all Python 2 books obsolete?

We will answer all of these questions and more. Join us! For those
who want to read ahead, check out this online article:
"Python 3: The Evolution of a Programming Language"
which can be found at:
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1328795

We recently delivered this talk at an ACCU USA chapter meeting, the
2009 Silicon Valley CodeCamp, and most recently, at PyCon 2010 in
Atlanta. i will be using the same slidedeck that you can access here:
http://us.pycon.org/2010/conference/schedule/event/29/

WESLEY J. CHUN, MSCS, is the author of Prentice Hall's bestseller,
"Core Python Programming" (http://corepython.com), its video training
course, "Python Fundamentals" (LiveLessons DVD), and co-author of
"Python Web Development with Django" (http://withdjango.com). In
addition to being a Developer Advocate at Google and a volunteer
coordinator for BayPIGgies, he runs CyberWeb
http://cyberwebconsulting.com
a consulting business specializing in Python software engineering and
technical training. He has over 25 years of programming, teaching,
and writing experience, including more than a decade of Python. While
at Yahoo!, he helped create Yahoo! Mail and Yahoo! People Search using
Python. He holds degrees in Computer Science, Mathematics, and Music
from the University of California.

Mapping and Random Access

Mapping is a rapid-fire audience announcement of issues, hiring,
events, and other topics.

Random Access follows people immediately to allow follow up on the
announcements and other interests.