2010 Mar 17 13:15

[vox] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 03/24/2010

[vox] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 03/24/2010

PENINSULA LINUX USERS' GROUP (PenLUG) PRESENTS:

   |Date:    |Wednesday, March 24, 2009                                     |
   |---------+--------------------------------------------------------------|
   |Time:    |6:00 - 8:00 PM                                                |
   |---------+--------------------------------------------------------------|
   |         |Bayshore Technology Park                                      |
   |Location:|1300 Island Drive                                             |
   |         |Redwood City, CA 94065                                        |
   |         |Suite 106 - Training Room                                     |
   |---------+--------------------------------------------------------------|
   |         |Facebook:                                                     |
   |RSVP:    |http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=10150121043645464       |
   |         |or mail rsvp@penlug.org                                       |

   Note we are now meeting on Wednesdays! Effectively this month, we will be
   moving to the fourth Wednesday of each month (except in November and
   December, when we will meet on the second Wednesday to avoid holiday
   conflicts). The meeting is hosted by NewlineNoosh. There is no sponsor for
   food/drinks, so please bring a potluck item to share.

   Agenda:

     * 6:00 PM Potluck snacks
     * 6:15 PM Free book giveaways or other prizes
     * 6:30 PM Presentation begins
     * 8:00 PM Meeting ends

  Featherweight Linux

   Slow is the new black! The "netbook" craze, with machines like the Asus
   Eee, has raised a lot of interest in small and relatively slow hardware.
   Even if you don't have a shiny new netbook, what about that older laptop
   sitting in your closet ... that one that you stopped using because it was
   too slow? Maybe you've wondered if there's a way to bring that old
   hardware back to life?

   This talk will cover ways of configuring a modern Linux distribution such
   as Ubuntu to run efficiently on slow CPU, low memory machines. You'll see
   how you can get big performance gains from areas such as:

     * speeding up the boot process
     * options for lightweight window managers
     * performance tools that can help you find bottlenecks
     * tuning your kernel
     * Finding lightweight alternatives to big applications

  Akkana Peck

   Akkana Peck is a freelance programmer and writer who has been involved
   with open source for roughly two decades, contributing code to
   Mozilla/Firefox, GIMP and a variety of other projects. She's also the
   author of "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional" and has written an
   assortment of tutorials for Linux Planet and other sites, including her
   own site.

RSVP

  Although it is not required, we like to have an idea of how many
  people to expect, so if possible please email rsvp@penlug.org if you
  are planning to attend.

GETTING THERE

  For information on getting to the meeting, please see:
      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1300+Island+Drive,+Redwood+City,+CA
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/DrivingDirectionsQualys
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/TransitDirectionsQualys

  Traffic on 101 can be pretty bad in the evening, so we encourage you
  to check traffic conditions before driving by dialing 5-1-1 on your
  phone or visiting www.511.org, and if possible to take public transit
  (best bet: bicycle via Caltrain) or carpool to this meeting.

MORE INFORMATION

  See www.penlug.org for more information.

This notice is being sent to the following mailing lists:
	members@penlug.org
	announce@penlug.org
	sf-lug@linuxmafia.com
	balug-talk@lists.balug.org
	svlug@lists.svlug.org
	svevents@yahoogroups.com
	vox@lists.lugod.org

  Please reply to suggest any additions or other changes.