January 6: Social gathering
2010 Mar 02 13:19

Re: [vox] [fwd] SVLUG Mar. 3rd meeting: "Linux, Android,and Open Source in the Mobile Environment" [Mtn View]

I won't be able to be there, but I'd be interested in seeing it.  Will the video of the presentation be available online?

On 2 March 2010 10:58, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> wrote:
----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen -----

Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 08:56:11 -0800
From: Rick Moen
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG Mar. 3rd meeting: "Linux, Android,
       and Open Source in the  Mobile Environment"

WHEN:

 Wednesday, March 3rd, 2010
 7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

 TOPIC:
    Linux, Android, and Open Source in the Mobile Environment

 PRESENTED BY:
   Alison Chaiken

 TOPIC SUMMARY:
 Mobile operating systems based on Linux range from full
 implementations of GNU/Linux like Intel/Nokia's newly announced MeeGo
 collaboration, to platforms like Palm's WebOS and the Google/Open
 Handset Alliance's Android, which contain little which is familiar to
 Linux users beyond the kernel. In addition, Nokia has open-sourced
 Symbian, which is not based on Linux at all. How "open" and "free" are
 these operating systems, and what challenges and opportunities do they
 present to developers and users? Android is winning the battle for
 market share, but does not have familiar facilities like X11 or even
 most of libc. In response, the Replicant Project has undertaken to
 create a GPLed operating system for the HTC G1 Dream phone.

 ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
     Allison Chaiken[1] is a recovering physicist who has computed
     primarily on Unix since the days of the VAX 11/750. She worked on
     pervasive computing projects at HP Labs, before coming to Stanford
     Linear Accelerator Center to write instrument control and user
     interface software.

     [1] http://www.exerciseforthereader.org/

LOCATION:

 Symantec
 VCAFE Facility
 350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
 Mountain View, CA 94043

   http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

 webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

 restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
 selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer