2010 Feb 28 23:27

[vox] Open Science Group @ UC Davis

Hello,

We are writing you today because we know that you have some interest in the movement called Open Science and how the future of science is going to depend on building community and truly sharing knowledge. If you are not that familiar with open science ideas, here are several components that you may relate to:
  • Open Access Publishing: The idea that scientific articles should be free to the public and easily accessed.
  • Open Tools: The creation of tools that aren't hindered by proprietary ownership ideas. The Open Source software movement is the world's leader.
  • Open Data: The idea that data should be available free from copyrights and patents for the purposes of scientific sharing and reproducibility.
  • Open Notebook: A way to share and expose the notebook of the scientist, revealing details that aren't normally published so there is no "insider information."

We are interested in forming a group at UC Davis made up of students, faculty and staff that is interested in these ideas. The group's purpose will be to build a community for sharing knowledge and resources and to bring together a unified voice on Open Science ideas on our campus. The group would encompass three core ideas:
  • Community: To build a face-to-face community through meetings/gatherings and to build an online community using modern web tools.
  • Tools: Sharing of tools, software and expertise.
  • Lobby: To form a unified voice that can encourage and influence the University to adopt policy that favors open science initiatives.

As a first step we'd like to have a meeting to bring together people familiar and new to open science ideas. We would like you to join our email listserv to help brainstorm ideas and coordinating the logistics of the first gathering.

Join the email list by sending an email to listproc@ucdavis.edu with this single line in the body:

sub openscience FirstName LastName

Also check out (and help edit) our webpage on openwetware.org.

We are looking forward to meeting you all and building an open science community here in Davis and please share this email with others who you think may be interested.

Sincerely,

Jason Moore
Carl Boettiger
Dale Peterson