2010 Feb 10 10:15

[vox] [fwd] SVLUG Feb. 3rd meeting: "Infrastructure Memes: HowSpreadable?Concepts Can Create and Empower Communities" [Mtn View]

And SVLUG meets in Mtn View _today_:

----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen -----

Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 01:38:14 -0800
From: Rick Moen
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG Feb. 3rd meeting: "Infrastructure Memes: How Spreadable Concepts Can Create and Empower Communities"

WHEN:

  Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010 (today!)
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION

  TOPIC:
    Infrastructure Memes: How Spreadable Concepts Can Create and Empower
    Communities

  PRESENTED BY:
    David Weekly

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
      The Internet enables ideas about how communities can self-organize
      to spread rapidly and globally, along with the infrastructure
      required to power a group, enabling "freely franchiseable" models
      like LUGs, BarCamps, DevHouses, hackerspaces, etc.  In this sense,
      the infrastructure for the community is communicated as an idea
      virus, or meme - a sort of cultural "grey goo".

      Maintaining a sufficient consistency of the idea such that global
      community "identity" is coherent is a challenge, leading to
      discussions of Community Marks and other novel forms of trademark.
      Models vary wildly in this level of control, from the Catholic
      Church through TEDx and all the way through those who self-label
      as "anarchists".  These models often lead to friction with
      existing, slower-moving establishments such as governments, to
      whom these forms of organization are alien and subversive.
      Examples and mild historical perspective will be provided; the
      talk hopes to at least stir discussion about effective ways to
      spread positive community concepts.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
      David Weekly[1] is founder and chairman of PBworks
      (http://pbworks.com/), an innovative host for business
      collaboration.  He was graduated as a President Scholar from
      Stanford U. in 2000 with a BS in Computer Science, and has
      worked for such institutions as Harvard Physics, MIT Lincoln
      Labs, Stanford Graphics, atWeb, Legato, and There.com.  David
      wrote the first layman-level description of MP3 in early 1997,
      reverse-engineered the Napster protocol in an evening, and was
      a finalist in the ACM International Programming Competition.
      David lives in a Hillsborough mansion with five others, and
      throws periodic all-night hackathons called SuperHappyDevHouse
      (http://superhappydevhouse.org/), there.  He is also Founding
      Director of Hacker Dojo (http://hackerdojo.pbworks.com/), a
      Mountain View-based non-profit community center for coders and
      thinkers.

      [1]  Please see:  http://david.weekly.org/,  http://davidweekly.org/

LOCATION:

  Symantec
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.php

  webmaster at svlug.org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer