January 6: Social gathering
2010 Jan 30 07:59

Re: [vox] Further LUGOD sponsorship of Atari Party 2010?

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 08:48:46PM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Ok, so renting two rooms for one day at the Vet Mem Ctr
> (as an individual, Davis resident) will cost a boatload
> (about $1200).  Doing it as a community group costs
> literally half.
>

> One long-time LUGOD member I was talking to, when he
> heard me complaining about the price, suggested I ask
> if LUGOD would be willing to make it a LUGOD event.
> (He pointed out the fact that the club would get some
> free advertising, and it could be a 'thanks' for all
> my years of hard work.  I won't argue. ;^) )

I'm hearing crickets so far. :)  So I guess I'll bring it up
for a vote at the next meeting...?
(if people feel that's the way to go)

To reiterate, it's a request for LUGOD to sponsor the
event by acting as the umbrella organization that works
with the City of Davis to rent a facility. The event would
benefit from the club's non-profit status (community
group rental rate), and LUGOD would receive free publicity.

This would not cost LUGOD anything, and any extra
contributions mqde toward the event (beyond the venue
rental cost) would go to LUGOD.

(I, of course, need to figure out from where that money will
come. Idead
welcome. ;) )

Thanks for the consideration!

(I got my first programming experience on an Atari A1200XL,
by the way. That's what led me into Comp Sci, and hence
Unix, and therefore Linux ;) )

Sent from a device with only an onscreen kybd :-/