2010 Jan 30 13:28

[vox] Humanitarian FOSS Project

Just discovered this via SchoolForge's mailing list:

  The Humanitarian FOSS Project
  http://hfoss.org/

  ...funded by the Directorate for Computing & Information Science &
  Engineering (CISE) of The National Science Foundation (NSF) under its
  Pathways to Revitalized Undergraduate Computing Education program
  (CPATH). The focus of CPATH is to help revitalize interest in
  computing education. Our project hopes to help revitalization by
  engaging undergraduates in building open source software for
  humanitarian organizations.

  Our approach is not unlike the Habitat for Humanity project: Instead
  of helping communities build houses, our students help build free
  software systems that benefit communities. The NSF grant enables us to
  explore whether engaging students in the Humanitarian-FOSS enterprise
  will help undergraduates see that designing and building software is
  an exciting, creative, and (often) a socially beneficial activity.

Enjoy!

Sent from my computer