2010 Jan 05 22:18

[vox] [fwd] TinyOgg is out!

FYI, "GNU Generation" is a program similar to Google's GHOP (which is like
Google Summer of Code, but geared towards high school students).

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Osama KM -----

Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 21:38:18 +0300
From: Osama KM
Subject: [Gnugeneration] TinyOgg is out!

Hi!

Just a few minutes ago, I released my GNU Generation project, TinyOgg, which
is a Free Software service designed to get rid of Flash technology in playing
audios and videos over the Internet by converting them to a new standard
multimedia format called "Ogg" which is supported by all major browsers except
Internet Explorer.. Of course no one in this group is using it. ;)

This service has very good technical advantages, such as the ability to play
videos without installing any plug-ins, and to download them directly to enjoy
it off-line. See: http://tinyogg.com/about/faqs/#advantages

In addition to the technical advantages there comes the ethical/political ones
: I encourage everybody to use it because it's one way we can, and must take
to keep the Web open and free for everyone, no single company should be
allowed to control a very widely-used technology such as playing audios and
videos, but unfortunately Adobe is monopolizing the whole thing.

Contributions from GNU Generation members are very welcome: you can design a
logo, a new interface, you can fix a bug, you can add a feature, you can spread
it! Please contact me to arrange something.

Please use this service and spread it, tell your friends and contacts, I'll be
grateful!

Visit: http://tinyogg.com

Bye!

--
Osama Khalid
An FSF member -- Support software freedom.

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer