2009 Nov 23 15:47

Re: [vox] is the Linux desktop OS dead?

On Monday 23 November 2009, Cylar Z wrote:
> Wondered if everyone had seen this, and had any reaction to it?
>

> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=3372&tag=content;leftCol

My basic reaction is to be reminded of Henry Kissinger's asking Chou En Lai
what impact the French Revolution had on World History.  Cho En Lai replied
that it was too early to tell.

The writer makes some good points.  Windows is generally easier to use than
Linux.  I will have to say, however, that my most recent experience is that
it is easier to get a printer to work with Linux than Windows.

I am forced to agree with the writer that Linux spends too much time trying to
copy Windows.  At least that's true of KDE 4.x.

My big beef right now is that I want to freeze my system at KDE 3.5, but
things keep going and I cannot download photos with Digikam with a USB cable
unless I use KDE 4.x.

I would ask what is happening in other parts of the world; places like Brazil
and China for example.  The American market will be losing relevance over
time.  And if the dollar is eventually replaced as the reserve currency it
may become irrelevant.

I think it's too early to come to a definitive conclusion.

Bob