January 6: Social gathering
2009 Nov 13 23:15

[vox] [fwd] BALUG: Tu 2009-11-17 Mark Terranova on Ubuntu 9.10Karmic Koala [San Fran]

More Karmic Koala fun:

(PS - I added a ton more LUG and UG events to the calendar
at LUGOD this afternoon: http://www.lugod.org/calendar/
Enjoy!)

----- Forwarded message from Michael Paoli -----

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:21:24 -0800
From: "Michael Paoli"
Subject: BALUG: Tu 2009-11-17 Mark Terranova on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

BALUG: Tu 2009-11-17 Mark Terranova on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Bay Area Linux User Group (BALUG)
Tuesday 6:30 P.M. 2009-11-17

Please RSVP if you're planning to come (see further below).

For our 2009-11-17 BALUG meeting, we're excited to present:

2009-11-17 Mark Terranova on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala[1]

Mark Terranova will be giving a talk about what is new in Ubuntu[2]'s
newest release - Karmic Koala.  He will also speak some about his
experiences with Local tech stuff.

Mark Terranova is a "West Coast Community-Developed-Software guy".  Mark
has regularly taught many types of computer classes specializing in the
benefits of Linux and Cross-Platform Software.

He has been involved with spreading Ubuntu for a while.  He has helped
organize Ubuntu Release Parties and other tech events that make it fun
- using beer, BBQ, and other ways to create a fun community.  He has
spent much time in Portland, Oregon working with FreeGeek.org[3].  Their
unique style helped him learn how to involve more people in computing.

This knowledge has helped him in his role as co-founder of Gidget
Kitchen[4] (GK).  "Gidget Kitchen donates computers, generally using
Ubuntu, to groups and individuals."  GK strives to make modern
technology simple, empowering, and easy for everyone to understand.  The
only requirement is "the ability to play well with others."

Mark blames his interest in technical things and electronics on his
father Michael.  "He gave me a Commodore 64 and helped me get my amateur
radio license (N6TBD) at an early age".

1. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicKoala/TechnicalOverview
2. http://www.ubuntu.com/
3. http://www.freegeek.org/
4. http://www.gidgetkitchen.org/

So, if you'd like to join us please RSVP:

             rsvp@balug.org

**Why RSVP??**

Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help the
Four Seas Restaurant plan the meal and they help ensure that we'll be
able to eat upstairs in the private banquet room.

Meeting Details...

             6:30pm
             Tuesday, November 17th, 2009 2009-11-17

             Four Seas Restaurant http://www.fourseasr.com/
             731 Grant Ave.
             San Francisco, CA 94108
             Easy PARKING:
             Portsmouth Square Garage at 733 Kearny http://www.sfpsg.com/

Cost: The meetings are always free, but dinner is $13

Feedback on our publicity/announcements (e.g. contacts or lists where we
should get our information out that we're not presently reaching, or
things we should do differently): publicity-feedback@balug.org

http://www.balug.org/

----- End forwarded message -----

Sent from my computer