2009 Oct 16 16:14

[vox] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 10/22/2009

[vox] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 10/22/2009

PENINSULA LINUX USERS' GROUP (PenLUG) PRESENTS:

   |Date:    |Thursday, October 22, 2009                                    |
   |---------+--------------------------------------------------------------|
   |Time:    |6:00 - 8:00 PM                                                |
   |---------+--------------------------------------------------------------|
   |         |Bayshore Technology Park                                      |
   |Location:|1300 Island Drive                                             |
   |         |Redwood City, CA 94065                                        |
   |         |Suite 106 - Training Room                                     |
   |---------+--------------------------------------------------------------|
   |RSVP:    |Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=152593273963  |
   |         |or mail rsvp@penlug.org                                       |

   Agenda:

     * 6:00 PM Free pizza arrives
     * 6:15 PM Free book giveaways or other prizes
     * 6:30 PM Presentation begins
     * 8:00 PM Meeting ends

  Amazon EC2 Cloud Computing and Application Design

     * Introduction to Cloud Computing Architecture
     * Overview of Amazon EC2
     * EC2 Cloud Application Design and Best Practices

          * Ensuring robustness and scalability on demand
          * Ensuring data privacy, storage persistence, and reliable DBMS
            backup

     * Managing EC2 cloud application infrastructures
     * Creating a cloud application system development life cycle

  Jorge Noa, CTO of HyperStratus

   Jorge has held engineering management and system architect positions at
   many Silicon Valley-based companies. He has extensive experience designing
   and managing large mission critical web-based computing environments. In
   the last year he has focused on issues in cloud application design and
   best practices. Prior to HyperStratus, he was most recently CIO of TraxRx,
   a software company in the emerging field of RFID based marketing and sales
   analysis of pharmaceutical drugs. Previously he designed networking and
   database software for Oracle, Ingres, and Informix Software were he was
   Communications Architect designing distributed databases and client/server
   product offerings. He also served as Chief Architect for PayDirect, a
   Yahoo! equivalent of PayPal, and Timogen Systems, a workflow software
   company offering supply chain optimization products. Earlier in his
   career, he served as a software engineer for NASA and Bell Labs, focusing
   on Unix kernel development and inter-system connectivity.

RSVP

  Although it is not required, we like to have an idea of how many
  people to expect, so if possible please email rsvp@penlug.org if you
  are planning to attend.

GETTING THERE

  For information on getting to the meeting, please see:
      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1300+Island+Drive,+Redwood+City,+CA
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/DrivingDirectionsQualys
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/TransitDirectionsQualys

  Traffic on 101 can be pretty bad in the evening, so we encourage you
  to check traffic conditions before driving by dialing 5-1-1 on your
  phone or visiting www.511.org, and if possible to take public transit
  (best bet: bicycle via Caltrain) or carpool to this meeting.

MORE INFORMATION

  See www.penlug.org for more information.

This notice is being sent to the following mailing lists:
	members@penlug.org
	announce@penlug.org
	sf-lug@linuxmafia.com
	balug-talk@lists.balug.org
	svlug@lists.svlug.org
	svevents@yahoogroups.com
	vox@lists.lugod.org

  Please reply to suggest any additions or other changes.