January 6: Social gathering
2009 Aug 31 14:29

Re: [vox] Distributing FOSS for Windows vs only distributing Linuxat events [fwd from a thread on sf-lug]

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:25:46AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>>
>> So discussion came up over on the SF-LUG list when someone mentioned
>> creating FOSS-for-Windows CDs to hand out (for Software Freedom Day?)
>> and others (e.g., Rick Moen, seen replied-to below) argued that the
>> focus should be Linux, otherwise one's just being 'an enabler.'

This seems to me to be a strange discussuion.
IMHO

A) An event for Software Freedom supporting open source should support all
versions of open source for all OS's.

B) A Linux User Group should support, and offer, Linux software at such an
event.

While I do feel that a Windows disc absolutely should be offered and
pitched to the public, I do not feel that a Linux group should have to be
the ones to do it. If there is no Windows table to pitch Windows free
software alternatives then that would appear to be a failure of the events
coordinator. An effort should definately be made to fill that gap.

I would even volunteer to help man such an underdog table fighting the
slings and arrows of my peers (if I were available to volunteer).

Gandalf  Parker