2009 Aug 20 12:00

Re: [vox] [fwd] The Death of Linuxworld

the evils of public licensing and
open source in general
are that people will claim to respect the
copyright but in private will take the
ideas and or code and put into other
project. Oh course privatizing the work
will only serve to anger the masses even
more because you have taken away their
code feed.

Subject : Re: [vox] [fwd] The Death of Linuxworld

Date : Tue, 18 Aug 2009 20:53:29 -0700

From : Bill Broadley

Chris Evans wrote:

> Takers will take, makers will make.

> Your point?

GPL is for makers. Once you GPL something folks can't take it

private/commercial without providing the source to whatever used the GPL code.

For that reason there aren't any few linux kernel forks, and the majority of

unix use is closely related to mainline.

BSD is for takers, it allows commercial outfits to slurp up the source and

make no contributions back to the community. Thus tons of BSD forks, some

open, some not. FreeBSD, PC-BSD, Nokia IPSO, Juniper OS, Darwin, Netapp,

NetBSD, OpenBSD, Ultrix, OSF/1, SunOS, Next/OpenStep, 386BSD, etc.

So while I don't support GPL 3's ideas of if you don't agree with me you can't

use the source. I do support GPLs idea that if you take GPL source you can't

take it closed source. So when some random embedded platform gets a linux

port I can be sure that I can tweak that kernel myself. So suddenly I can use

my PDA, Cell phone, Router, set top box, whatever and extend it's

functionality as I see fit. Granted some platforms have aggressive enough DRM

to prevent end user kernel tweaking.

So yeah I support GPL-2, not GPL-3. Did you have any substantial complaints

about it besides that it's long and and silly? I didn't follow your copywrite

statement. GPL-2 doesn't allow you to restrict the use, publication or

related as a copywrite does. In fact it's just the opposite, often referred

to copyleft. GPL does not require, or even imply that you are handing over

copywrite to the FSF.

Sure the Berkeley license is short and simple, it doesn't really restrict

anything. For the most part it allows (but doesn't require) unlimited

redistribution, copywrite notice, and disclaimers. Fairly close to public domain.

--chris Phone #: 916-410-7677
chris.123stones.com
axiomfinity